Calendar of Events
PLEASE REGISTER ON OUR MEETUP SITE so we know how many to expect.
Located south of downtown Lake City, this park is a former agricultural field and is 800 acres of wetlands and cypress swamp. The willows along the banks provide a rookery to egrets and close up views of wildlife. Birds to target here are ducks, heron, flycatcher, and warblers.
Bring plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen and binoculars. We will meet in the parking lot near the restroom. After we sign in, we can start birding.
Directions: Go west on I-10 and take the US 90 exit (Olustee). Go west on US 90 for approx. 20 miles, as you pass the Lake City airport look for CR 10A (Baya Ave.) bearing off to the left. Once on Baya Ave, look for and turn left onto CR 133 (Country Club Dr.) There is a sign for Alligator Lake on right. Meet at the parking lot next to the pole barn. No fee.
Here is an Alligator Lake Park Map: http://www.columbiacountyfla.com/Downloads/Parks%20and%20Recreation/Alligator%20Lake%20Park%20Map.pdf.
COVID-19 NOTE: Masks are not mandatory per the new CDC guidelines, but for the safety of all participants and volunteers, masks and social distancing are strongly recommended. Please, no sharing of binoculars or scopes. Please do not attend if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or experienced any of the following symptoms within the last 14 days:
- A new fever
- A new cough that is not because of another illness
- A new shortness of breath that is not because of another illness
- A new sore throat that is not because of another illness
- Sore muscles not because of existing illness, or not from exercise or injury
- Diagnosis of an infection
- Exposure to someone known to be infected
- Someone you are closely associated with experiencing any of the above symptoms.
- You are currently experiencing unmanaged seasonal allergy symptoms (e.g., persistent cough, sneezing).