Calendar of Events
PLEASE NOTE: Attendance will be limited to no more than 25 people, and you must register on our Meetup site to participate.
This area is part of the Cecil Recreation Trail and was once the NAS Cecil Field aircraft armament storage site, known as Yellow Water. The area includes a network of old asphalt and gravel and/or dirt fire roads.
Bring binoculars, drinks, snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, sturdy walking shoes, and a hat if desired.
We will meet in the last parking lot past the roundabout. Once we fill out the sign in sheets, we can look for meadowlark, kestrels, and shrikes from here. Then we will walk toward the pond and check for Pied-billed Grebe, American Coot, Common Gallinule, any winter ducks, and the very elusive American Bittern. We will also walk some of the paved trails looking for woodland species.
Restrooms are available at the Jacksonville Equestrian Center.
COVID-19 NOTE: Masks are not mandatory per the new CDC guidelines, but for the safety of all participants and volunteers, social distancing is still strongly recommended, especially if you are not vaccinated. Please, no sharing of binoculars or scopes. Please do not attend if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or experienced any of the following symptoms within the last 14 days:
- A new fever
- A new cough that is not because of another illness
- A new shortness of breath that is not because of another illness
- A new sore throat that is not because of another illness
- Sore muscles not because of existing illness, or not from exercise or injury
- Diagnosis of an infection
- Exposure to someone known to be infected
- Someone you are closely associated with experiencing any of the above symptoms.
- You are currently experiencing unmanaged seasonal allergy symptoms (e.g., persistent cough, sneezing).