Calendar of Events
PLEASE NOTE: Attendance will be limited to no more than 20 people, and you must register on our Meetup site to participate.
Jennings State Forest is an approximately 30,000-acre state forest managed by the Florida Division of Forestry. It is one of the best places to see the Bachman's Sparrow in the spring when they come out from hiding to call for mates. Previous field trips have produced Bachman's Sparrow, Acadian Flycatcher, Summer Tanager, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Bartram's Ixia (rare wildflower) and many more interesting birds and plants. The Pioneer Trail is a new trail that connects all of the landings and campsites along Black Creek.
The goal of this trip is to encounter migrants like American Redstart, Ovenbird, Hooded Warbler, Swainson’s Thrush, and flycatchers. The luxuriant undergrowth in lowland areas is one of the best spots to target the very rare Kentucky Warbler.
We will meet in the parking lot at the Publix Supermarket at Middleburg Crossing (2640 Blanding Blvd, Middleburg, FL 32068) at 8:00 am, get everyone signed in, then caravan to the trailhead. Jennings SF parking: $3.00 per car; exact currency is recommended since you must put your money in an envelope and then lock box. Bring your binoculars, water, insect repellent, and snacks.
COVID-19 NOTE: Masks are not mandatory per the new CDC guidelines, but for the safety of all participants and volunteers, masks and social distancing are strongly recommended. Please, no sharing of binoculars or scopes. Please do not attend if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or experienced any of the following symptoms within the last 14 days:
- A new fever
- A new cough that is not because of another illness
- A new shortness of breath that is not because of another illness
- A new sore throat that is not because of another illness
- Sore muscles not because of existing illness, or not from exercise or injury
- Diagnosis of an infection
- Exposure to someone known to be infected
- Someone you are closely associated with experiencing any of the above symptoms.
- You are currently experiencing unmanaged seasonal allergy symptoms (e.g., persistent cough, sneezing).