Apply now to join our Board of Directors!
It’s that time of year when we consider nominations to our board of directors. Please note that our chapter is an all-volunteer nonprofit with no paid staff. We are looking to fill 2 officer positions: President and Treasurer. We have several director positions that need to be filled as well as a couple of committee positions that need additional help for projects in which we are involved. Directors are elected for a term of 2 years and are required to attend monthly board meetings to conduct the chapter’s business.
Key officer positions include President and Treasurer. Here is a synopsis of duties:
1) President – Direct and administer the affairs of the chapter. Preside over meetings of the board, and in consultation with the board, develop agendas for those meetings. Lead the board in developing goals, objectives, annual plans and budget. Act as spokesperson for the chapter in the community. Be prepared to field a wide variety of phone calls and emails from members of the community, the press and elected officials. Prepare the annual recertification report for National Audubon. Oversee administrative matters.
2) Treasurer - The Treasurer is custodian of the Chapter’s funds and is responsible for keeping accounts and dispersing funds in accordance with the Board’s direction and Chapter policy. You will be responsible for producing monthly financial reports and maintaining accurate books that are available for Board scrutiny at monthly meetings or as requested. Submit an annual budget and submit an annual financial report to National Audubon.
We also need the following:
3) A Social Media coordinator to promote our activities online with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Candidate will also direct our Meetup group and be responsible for entering our calendar of activities on Meetup.
4) Education Director – oversees Adult and Youth Education Committees. Education of both members and the public on ecology and environmental issues is a major goal of our chapter. Form a committee of volunteers to assist with tabling events throughout the year. Offer bird identification workshops to schools and senior groups. Work with local elementary school teachers to make them aware of Audubon-sponsored material for their classrooms.
5) Membership - The Membership Chair is responsible for inputting new and renewing memberships into the National Audubon Society’s Chapter Transmittal Portal, acknowledging membership donations, and welcoming new members (including those who join directly through National and are assigned to Duval Audubon Society) to the chapter. The Membership Chair also reports membership account information updates (changes of address, duplicate accounts, etc.) via email to Chapter Services at National.
6) Volunteer Coordinator. Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the chapter. Schedule all volunteer activity. Develop and manage volunteer policies and procedures
Committee positions do not require you to be on the board. We need volunteers to assist the committee chairs for conservation projects, bird monitoring and tabling events promoting our chapter throughout the year.
We welcome new talent and fresh ideas and would love to have your help! The birds need our protection now more than ever.
If you are interested in helping a committee chair, application is not required. Just let us know by email which committee you would be interested in. Thank you for your consideration.