Calendar of Events
PLEASE REGISTER ON OUR MEETUP SITE so we know how many to expect.
Spoonbill Pond is the informal name for the pond directly across the street from the Sawpit Creek Boat Ramp parking lot, just before the Nassau Sound Bridge. The location is at the extreme northeast limit of Duval County and is one of the premier places in NE FL to observe the highest diversity in species during a single visit. In winter, it is not uncommon to observe close to 50 species!
Parking: $3.00 per car; exact currency is recommended since you must put your money in an envelope and then lock box. There is no park ranger stationed at this entrance. There is ample parking in the paved lot. This parking lot is primarily used by boaters, so find a smaller parking space for your vehicle.
We will meet in front of the restroom area and sign in.
Target Species: Bald Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Northern Harrier, American White Pelican, Wood Stork, Piping Plover, Seaside Sparrow, Lesser Scaup, Red-breasted Merganser, Green-winged and Blue-winged Teal, Ruddy Duck.
What to bring: Binoculars, a scope if you have one, water, snacks, hat and sunscreen.
COVID-19 NOTE: Masks are not mandatory per the new CDC guidelines, but for the safety of all participants and volunteers, masks and social distancing are strongly recommended. Please, no sharing of binoculars or scopes. Please do not attend if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or experienced any of the following symptoms within the last 14 days:
- A new fever
- A new cough that is not because of another illness
- A new shortness of breath that is not because of another illness
- A new sore throat that is not because of another illness
- Sore muscles not because of existing illness, or not from exercise or injury
- Diagnosis of an infection
- Exposure to someone known to be infected
- Someone you are closely associated with experiencing any of the above symptoms.
- You are currently experiencing unmanaged seasonal allergy symptoms (e.g., persistent cough, sneezing).